Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New recipe I love

Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Portobellos

4 Large portobello mushroom caps (you can leave the gills in or scrape them out)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 TBS finely chopped Kalamata olives (optional - I don't like olives so I leave them out)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray cooking spray on a baking sheet with a lip.
2. Place mushroom caps, gill side up, on the pan, Sprinkle with salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile mash together ricotta, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olives (optional), Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 tsp pepper. Heat marinara sauce on the stove or in the microwave until hot.
3. When mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill side up. Spread 1 TBS warm marinara sauce into each cap, and mound the ricotta filling on top (about 1/3 cup to each cap). Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with remaining marinara sauce.

Friday, January 01, 2010


The parents have left the building. It was really nice to have them visit even if it was for such a short time. I really miss them and wish that we lived closer..maybe someday?

As usual, their visit was punctuated with lots of really delicious meals, since Roland and I are both foodies and its nicer to make the more involved dishes for more people than just two. I made a couple of new recipes one night, including portobello caps stuffed with ricotta, spinach, and parmesan, and a watercress and sugar snap pea salad with a warm shallot dressing. Both turned out really well and I will probably make them again. In the process Roland finally found some peanut oil in a smallish container and it smells really good when you are cooking with it!

Roland made New Years Eve dinner and it was incredible. Beef Bourguignon (ala Julia Child), asparagus with a creamy taragon sauce, and a mashed cauliflower dish that I think he just made up on the spot. Julie, John, and Harrison came over for that meal as well and Julie brought dessert: poached pears with a Champagne sabayon - Wow, I thought about distracting everyone else at the table and licking my bowl! It was a really good meal and I'm glad the Robbins came, it was a lot of fun and they helped keep the conversation lively! Plus I got to play with Harrison - who is utterly adorable and working on figuring out how to smile.

I was sad to drop them off at the airport and now I'm really looking forward to being home in May for Mike's wedding. Hopefully we will be able to stay for a while and visit with lots of people. Ryan and Laura have a daughter and Henry and Katie have a son have haven't met yet. Jason is engaged and we haven't met Jen yet either (although she sounds like a pretty awesome lady!).

Bleys is doing better for the most part, although now I'm super paranoid and sometimes I think he still doesn't feel great, but might be overreacting. We've switched to totally raw and he seems to really enjoy that, but he's starting having some anal gland issues that I think I'm going to bring up at his next appointment. I'm also not sure what sort of reaction to expect when I bring home a puppy at the end of the month. He's been an only dog for almost 6 years! Hopefully it will encourage him to play and romp, not be a grumpy old man.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Athens Dawg Derby

Originally uploaded by Sirelroka
I got back last night from a flyball tournament, the Athens Dawg Derby. It was a bit of a drive so I left on Friday and came back yesterday. Although the team I was on didn't do very well it was a ton of fun. I uploaded a buncha pics over at Flickr, but many of them are pretty bad. I forgot to bring the good camera so they are mega grainy and terrible. Ah well. One of my favorite dogs to watch this weekend was a Great Dane! Yep, a Great Dane running flyball. It was awesome.

Sunday, July 05, 2009


Originally uploaded by Sirelroka
One part of the library has become home to the-stuff-I-haven't-unpacked-yet. Here we see Bleys and his need to be just a little bit higher. I don't see how a bag of flyball jumps could be all that comfy, but it is higher than the poofy dog bed seen in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Do I live here?

Originally uploaded by Sirelroka
So the one room in the house that was most important to us in finding a house is the room I finished first. The kitchen. It is looking pretty awesome. We have a new dishwasher, refrigerator and stove/microwave hood thingy. I Murphy'd the cabinets, washed the glass in the display cabinets, and cleaned the granite with some granite cleaner stuff. Cool features I'm excited about - the refrigerator has filtered water (but not in the door - which is better IMO), the dishwasher has a delayed start option, and the stove....well it does it all. It is a convection oven, it has a built in probe thermometer, it has super smooth moving racks, it has a bread proofing function where you can have a climate controlled place for your bread to rise. Seriously. I also like this little area next to the refrigerator that I made for the cutting board and knives.

Dr. Horrible does home improvement

Where does the time go? I guess its been over a week since I last posted, but I've been very, very busy working on the house. We are moved in completely now, handed over the keys to the apartment on the 30th. We are doing pretty well on the unpacking, but there still is a lot to do. I've got the guest bedroom pretty much unpacked, but the closet has a lot of stuff in it that isn't really meant to go there. It was just a convenient place to put it for the time being. Plus I need to make the panels for the closets in there and craftytown. Unfortunately craftytown has had a bit of a setback. One of the piece of the bookshelf/desk I ordered was damaged so they are sending a replacement, but until it arrives I am at an impasse in there. I added some more pictures to flickr if you are interested in the progress. Most of them are after painting etc, and before stuff.

I took this picture a while ago when Roland was working on prepping the master bedroom for painting.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009


We have coldness! Our refrigerator and dishwasher were installed today and they are awesome. My favorite feature of the 'frige is the internal filtered water dispenser and on the dishwasher the delay feature. We are forever getting the dishwasher all ready to run and then forgetting to do it when we go to bed. They look freakin' awesome and make the kitchen look much better. Now we just need a stove and we will be set. Woot! We also have started the process of moving some of our stuff in, which is super exciting. The movers are coming on the 30th to move the big stuff that we can't, so I'm hoping to get some stuff moved by myself so I don't have to have it all packed at once. Somehow it is easier to do a little every day and this time I don't have to move it all down three flights of stairs. That was tiring. Plus this time Roland has a little more free time and can help which makes a world of difference.

I also purchased some more stuff from Ikea. This time it is the Kvartal rails which I'm hoping to put in Craftytown and the guest bedroom as closet doors. They will replace the bifold doors I took off before painting. I'm a little concerned about hanging them but hopefully it will be doable for someone of my skill level. Then I need to pick out fabric to make the panels from. Maybe Julie will come with me to give me her opinion. I'm sure if I asked Roland would come, but he doesn't really care one way or another. All in all things are moving right along.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Garage lizard

Garage lizard
Originally uploaded by Sirelroka
While my mom was here we went out once and this guy was hanging out on our garage. I think he is a Knight Anole and apparently they aren't very nice. They turn black when they are upset and will bite. Their bite often becomes infected due to the bacteria in their mouths. I thought he looked a lot like the lizards from the Sobe Life Water ads.